FEMA released a Notice of Funding Opportunity for both the Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC) Program (see the fact sheets below) and the Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Program. Applications open on September 30th, 2020, and are due by January 29th, 2021.
The newly created BRIC program includes $446.4 million (up to $50 million per applicant) for a nationwide competitive grant program that prioritizes infrastructure improvements that intersect with planning and emergency management. The program’s goal is to fund projects that will help communities prepare and mitigate the impacts of natural disasters, with a specific focus on;
- incentivizing public infrastructure projects;
- incentivizing projects that mitigate risk to one or more lifelines;
- incentivizing projects that incorporate nature-based solutions; and,
- incentivizing the adoption and enforcement of modern building codes.
The program will also include $33.6 million for distribution to states (up to $600,000 per applicant) and $20.0 million for Tribes.
Many counties are involved in natural disaster mitigation, whether through the Local Triage/Detour Seismic Lifeline Bridge Resiliency planning work with ODOT, flood prevention, or other local resiliency efforts, that may translate into a competitive application for funding under the BRIC program.
FEMA has placed an added emphasis on infrastructure projects and improving community lifelines which include transportation facilities. General project eligibility requirements include:
- reduces/eliminates risk and damage from future natural hazards,
- meets two consensus codes,
- aligns with a Hazard Mitigation Plan, and
- meets all environmental and historic preservation requirements.
If you are interested in applying for a local project, we recommend you coordinate with your county emergency manager, and/or county planner, who generally implements these grants at the local level.
Please let either Brian Worley or Jocelyn Blake know if you are interested in applying. We are currently evaluating how best to support you in these efforts.